Who is this course for? Data Modelling is the fundamental skill needed to produce sophisticated analyses and powerful reports. This course is aimed at people who have some experience of using Power BI and who want to take their skills to the next level.
Learning Objectives: Attendees will be able to use Power BI Desktop’s data modelling features to design and arrange their data into well- known dimensional modelling patterns – resulting in better reports and dashboards. They will be able to review and critique data models.
Course Length and Price: 2 days, £2,900 ex VAT
Pre-requisites: basic familiarity with Power BI, for example gained on the foundation course.
Course Content: This is a practical hands-on course. Attendees will build Power BI data models and visualisations to check they are working as expected. The course covers:
- The basics: tables, columns and data types
- The grain of a table, and why this is important
- Primary and foreign keys
- Unique and distinct values
- Discrete and continuous variables
- Relationships between tables
- Fact and dimension tables
- Star schemas (and their advantages)
- Snowflake schemas
- Just enough DAX for data modelling
- Data shaping with the Query Editor
- Date (calendar) tables
- Role playing dimensions
Below are some images from the lab exercises on the course.